If you’re like me, Super Bowl Sunday means a heaping plate of spicy wings accompanied by crisp celery sticks and creamy blue-cheese dressing. Try my makeover of Ellie Krieger’s Broiled Buffalo Chicken Wings from Leite’s Culinaria for a better-than-you riff on the original that doesn’t sacrifice an ounce of taste. These wings are guaranteed to score high marks, even if your favorite team doesn’t.
- Boost flavor and nutrients with pasture-raised, organic chicken without antibiotics or hormones from your local farmer’s market instead of chicken from conventional corporate feedlots; this is also a more sustainable choice that’s better for the environment. You can use the Eat Wild and Local Harvest websites to find local markets and producers in your area.
- Choose organic hot sauce. Your local farmer’s market and the Local Harvest website are both good resources for locating producers in your area.
- Add flavor and avoid additives by choosing organic, sodium-free chicken stock.
- Replace conventional celery with organic celery to avoid the 57 different pesticides present in conventional celery. (The Environmental Working Group offers a printable list of produce with the highest and lowest levels of pesticides.)
What are buffalo wings without the Blue Cheese Dip? I suggest the following tweaks:
- Substitute organic plain Greek yogurt for regular mayo and Greek yogurt. The leading brands of mayonnaise are made with soybean or canola oil from genetically modified crops, processed sugar, and unspecified “natural flavors.” By contrast, organic Greek yogurt is made from hormone- and antibiotic-free milk, and is a rich source of protein and probiotics.
- Choose raw (unpasteurized) organic blue cheese. Find producers in your area at the local farmer’s market, an area cheese shop or on Local Harvest’s website.