Sweet Potatoes, carrots, and spices come together to make this hearty, warming soup. Accompanies a meat dish well, but also great by itself.
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus a pinch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pounds carrots (about 6 large), cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and pinch sea salt.
- Saute onions until translucent and slightly caramelized, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add curry powder, coriander and garlic; stir to toast spices, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil, carrots, sweet potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and stir until alcohol evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add stock and bay leaf. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce to simmer.
- Cover; cook until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Puree soup in pot using immersion blender, or in batches in blender. Season to taste with salt.
- Ladle soup into warm bowls; garnish with fresh thyme leaves.