Although it might be unusual to include a typically savory ingredient- avocado- in a sweet setting, here it totally works. Not only does the subtle avocado flavor nicely complement the pudding’s chocolate intensity, but it makes for a wonderfully creamy texture without eggs or dairy. The net result is a dessert that’s dairy-free, vegan, and raw plus healthy and delicious. You’re welcome. This chocolate avocado pudding recipe is from The Clean Plates Cookbook ($17; Running Press) by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough.
- 2 medium-size ripe avocados—quartered, peeled, and pitted
- 3/4 cup (70 grams) unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened nut milk, or more as needed
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) raw agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fine sea salt to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor or the jar of a blender, combine the avocados, cacao powder, nut milk, agave, and vanilla and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl or jar as necessary. Add more nut milk as needed to reach the desired consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer the pudding to serving bowls and serve immediately or chill before serving.