The new Love & Lemons Cookbook fires us up with a Balsamic Grilled Radicchio Salad.
This recipe is from Jeanine Donofrio’s The Love & Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking ($35; Avery).
- 2 small heads radicchio
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- White balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- 2 cups (500 ml) mixed salad greens
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- Parmesan cheese wedge, for shaving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices grainy bread + ½ clove garlic (optional)
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Slice the radicchio into wedges and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and pinches of salt and pepper. Grill each side for about 3 minutes, or until char marks form and the radicchio softens.
- Remove from the grill and assemble the radicchio wedges on plates with a small handful of salad greens. Drizzle with olive oil and a little bit of balsamic vinegar. Top with the toasted hazelnuts and shavings of Parmesan cheese. Serve with freshly ground black pepper.
- If desired, make toasted bread crumbs: Toast 2 slices of grainy bread until crispy. Rub with the cut side of a half clove of garlic, place in a food processor, and pulse into coarse crumbs. Sprinkle onto the salads.