By Stephanie Schoenster
This week’s list is loaded with tasty items to help you save time and stay satisfied. From the easiest oats ever to a creamy, protein-packed swap for yogurt, read on to find out what healthy snacks and products we’re obsessed with this week.
1. 88 Acres: Why do we love these wholesome, non-GMO, gluten-, nut-, soy-, egg- and dairy-free bars? They’re delicious, sure, but they’re also made from locally sourced ingredients whenever possible, and baked by hand in small batches. Plenty of (certified gluten-free) oats and seeds baked in make them super crunchy, and they’ll keep you full and satisfied. Of the three flavors, Apple Ginger is our fave (though we won’t turn down a Triple Berry or Chocolate & Sea Salt, if you’re offering…), it’s cozy and warming, with pieces of chewy real ginger scattered throughout. (Available at stores nationwide or online; $21.50 for 9 bars)
2. Rachel’s Overnight Oats: If you didn’t think overnight oats could get any easier, good news: They just did. Choose from Cinnamon-Raisin or Pumpkin-Spice, then just combine the amount you want in a jar with your choice of liquid. With chia, flax and hemp seeds already added, you get an extra hit of protein and fiber, too. (Available online; $5.29 for 1 bag)
3. Misha (now known as Wunder): Step aside, Greek yogurt, and make way for quark. This creamy, spoonable, cultured cheese (originally from Germany) is packed with protein and made from nutrient-rich grass-fed milk, plus it’s unbelievably luscious and creamy with no sour aftertaste. It comes in Original (plain), Blueberry, Vanilla Bean-Coconut, Strawberry Rhubarb and Key Lime (the last two are our faves). (Available at stores nationwide.)
4. Figberry Box: Finally, a truly easy, healthy kitchen project for you to do with your kids. Figberry is a subscription box with everything you need to make plant-based energy bites from scratch. Here’s how it works: Every month, you get a gift box that includes all the individually wrapped ingredients and a recipe card for a different flavor of energy bites. All you need is a food processor and 15 minutes, and you have a batch of tasty, good-for-you treats. Past flavors have included Apple Cinnamon and Gingerbread.
5. Burt’s Bees: Burt’s Bees Protein + Healthy Radiance. Burt’s Bees is known for their all-natural skin products; now they want to help you to be beautiful from the inside out. Their new plant-based organic protein powder—made with peas and brown rice, plus sunflower and flax seeds—has vitamins A, C and E. Plus, it’s gluten-, dairy- and soy-free. Best of all, it has only a hint of sweetness and no chalky or gritty aftertaste, so you can toss it into any recipe that can use a protein boost. One serving provides 15g of protein and more than four servings of fruits and vegetables. (Available at Amazon, select retailers and soon via Walgreens stores.)