Lamb doesn’t get much play in the U.S., but we think it’s time to add it to your dinner rotation.
First and foremost: It’s healthy. Along with being a great source of protein, lamb is also rich in important nutrients like iron, zinc, selenium and vitamin B12. It also has more omega-3s than grass-fed beef.
Lamb is also easy to cook, as the recipe below will show you. This meal, complete with two healthy sides, is on the table in 20 minutes. Yes, please.
Last but certainly not least, it’s delicious. It’s rich and satisfying, a bit gamier and earthier than beef but still on the mild side compared to wilder meats like elk and venison.
So try this recipe from Alison Bailey Vercruysse, CEO and founder of 18 Rabbits Organics (one of our go-to granola companies)—we bet it will become a favorite.
Lamb Lollipops with Quinoa Pilaf and Cucumber Salad
- For Quinoa:
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1-2 large raw carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 handful toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 handful dried cranberries
- For Cucumber Salad:
- 2 peeled, thinly sliced cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 small handful toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- For Lamb Chops:
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- Sea salt, to taste
- 3 lamb chops
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Make quinoa: In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa, water, and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Add green onions, sliced raw carrots, honey, toasted slivered almonds, rice wine vinegar, and dried cranberries. Stir mixture until combined.
- Make cucumber salad: In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame seeds, and honey. Toss well.
- Make lamb chops: Combine rosemary and sea salt in mortar, and grind until fine. Rub it on both sides of lamb chops. Add coconut oil to a skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Saute lamb chops for 2 minutes per side for medium rare, 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove from heat and season with freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve lamb chops with quinoa pilaf and cucumber salad on the side.